Black Writers aims to promote established freelance copy, line and developmental Black editors and proofreaders and connect our audience of writers with qualified professionals capable of delivering exceptional, high-quality results. Freelancers must have a proven track record of at least three years’ book editing and proofreading experience for consideration. Those with pertinent academic, vocational training or other related professional experience may also apply.
Our editor directory is the top-ranked Google result for “black editors” keyword searches. This directory includes freelance or independent editing professionals with websites or social media profiles that clearly highlight their expertise in their indicated areas of specialization. The purpose is to present a list of professional, established editorial resources with a compelling overview of qualifications. Our goal is to reduce the number of Black writers being taken advantage of by unethical individuals posing as editors and simultaneously improve the quality of self-published African-American literature. We also have editors who specialize in editing and proofreading blogs, technical documents, medical literature, legal documentation, and marketing and business materials. We are committed to promoting to the Black writing community only those editors who warrant consideration.
Here are a few ways that qualified editors demonstrate expertise and eligibility and are the criteria by which we evaluate each application we receive:
• Have a professional-looking website dedicated to your editorial services business
• Have a valid LLC, Doing Business As certificate or other business formation license as an editorial services provider
• Have a list of titles you’ve edited
• Have a compelling services page that describes your editing and proofreading services and the types of clients you serve
• Have a Facebook or Google business or LinkedIn page with details about your services, works edited and types of clients
• Have published testimonials from satisfied clients
• Have a digital cloud-hosted portfolio that showcases the above
• Have published blog posts or articles that showcase your knowledge and experience in your field
• Provide a detailed description of your background under the About or Bio section of your website or profile
If you do not have ANY of these, you will not be approved. If you do not have all of them, you can still be approved, but you absolutely must have the first three or you will be denied.
If you meet these criteria, we invite you to submit your information below for our co-operative marketing program. Your entry will appear exactly as you enter it here. Please be sure to proofread your entries and use conventional upper and lowercase when entering your information (avoid all caps or all lowercase). The bio should relate strictly to your editing, proofreading or academic background and experience in support of your qualifications and services offered. There is a charge of $5.00 per month for inclusion. If approved, we will invoice you for the $5.00 monthly advertising fee which is charged as a recurring fee via PayPal. You may cancel at any time and your listing will expire on the last day of the current payment cycle unless you renew. If you prefer, you may elect to pay the $60 annual fee upfront.
After approval, you will be invited to submit more information for your profile, your logo and photo to be included with your listing on the site.